Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Even Cupcakes???


You know my passion for baking, right? It's been something I have absolutely LOVED since childhood, and have countless memories over the years that involve baking. It is 100% therapeutic for me, and I associate it with home, coziness, family, and comfort. :o) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE baking.

So couple weeks ago, Nathan and I were out on a date. We spent a lot of the time talking about how we could learn and grow in serving together as a family. (We've been made aware of how serving together is a key component to children staying in the faith, and not walking away from the Lord as they grow older.) This has been a heavy and exciting conviction on our hearts, and we spoke of it at length during this particular date a few weeks ago.

As we were leaving the date, I saw a message on my phone from a friend, asking me if I would be willing to bake cupcakes for a bake-sale fundraiser. A handful of families from our church were going to the Dominican Republic (they are there as I write!), and they had some last-minute expenses arise.

It couldn't have been a more timely ask! I decided of course we would help, and I wanted the kids to help too, so we could serve as a family! It was a perfect first opportunity. :o)

Well, as much as Nathan attempted to set appropriate boundaries for me.. :o) I went a bit overboard. :o) And sure enough all 3 kids got their spring-round of a cold, ear infections, etc that week! But despite spending the majority of my week on it... it was amazing to see how the Lord pulled things off, and multiplied our efforts in a crazy way! :o)

Indeed, I made 260 cupcakes for the sale! :) It took 3, 6-foot tables to spread them all out, and tons of serving platters and cake stands! It was by far, my most adventurous attempt! :o)

We decided to ask for a $3 minimum donation, and- do the math. If every cupcake sold, that would make $750.00. Not bad for a bake sale! Well.. God had better things in store.

Before I even took the cupcakes to church, a friend who attends a different church left $250 in my mailbox!!! How's that for a start???! :o) God is so good. By the time the night was over, we had raised $1700.00 !!!!! Isn't that CRAZY??? Of course we had no idea it would be such a success... at the time of planning, we just thought... well, anything helps! And the Lord will honor our efforts... who knew??? :o)

It was quite an adventure and a learning curve... but it really was fun. :o)

Never doubt what the Lord will use for HIM!
Even CUPCAKES!!! :o)

No comments: