Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I read a blog...

...today. It was titled "Out of the Rubble." It's written by an old college friend of mine, who is a mother and is pregnant with her 3rd daughter. Her first daughter is 4, her second daughter passed away after only 3 days of life. The post consisted of how she realized that she cannot protect herself from the what-if's in life, despite the tremendous burden she has been required to bear. That she cannot escape another tragedy, no matter precautions she might take. She realized that the fear and protective walls we put up in life rather cause us to miss out on the joys of truly embracing what it is we do have.

I am thankful. Thankful for my family, my children, health, life, salvation. Thankful for the good days, the hard days, the happy days, the sad. I want to embrace all that is challenging, with all this is blessing. May I not only live for the easy- but realize I am refined by exactly what it is I often try to escape. There is joy in the trials. And I want all the joy life has to give.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." ~James 1:3-4

"But we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:3-4


1 comment:

Afton Vander Pol said...

thank you for this reminder today.
love you